Activities for Building Character and Social-Emotional Learning
Safe & Caring Schools® Series
by Katia S. Petersen, Ph.D.
Build attitudes of respect and caring, reduce problem behaviors, empower students to solve problems, and educate the whole child socially, emotionally, and academically with these flexible, user-friendly activity guides. Each resource offers 100+ ready-to-use activities that integrate into the daily curriculum in all subject areas—language arts, social studies, science, math, art, and music. The lessons’ literature-based connections allow teachers to “build in” rather than “add on” social-emotional learning (SEL) throughout the day. Field-tested in classrooms across the United States, these activities when fully implemented have resulted in improved school climate, greater parent engagement, increased academic achievement, and reduction in discipline referrals. The Activities for Building Character and Social-Emotional Learning resource guides are essential teaching tools for all preK–8 educators.
Each book offers:
- Easy-to-implement year-round activities
- Monthly themes focused on emotions, empathy, relationships, bullying prevention, conflict resolution, teamwork, decision-making, problem-solving, and more
- Concise lesson formats (Read, Discuss, Do, Relate)
- Discussion and writing prompts
- Built-in assessment
- Options for literature-based teaching
- CD-ROM with all of the book’s reproducible forms
Each book: S/C. 8½" x 11", with a CD-ROM of reproducible activity handouts, $29.99