In Activities for Building Character and Social-Emotional Learning, hundreds of user-friendly lesson plans help teachers build attitudes of respect and caring, reduce problem behaviors, empower students to solve problems, and educate the whole child socially, emotionally, and academically. The lessons’ literature-based connections allow teachers to “build in” rather than “add on” social-emotional learning (SEL) as part of the daily curriculum. The four teacher resources in the Safe & Caring Schools® series can also be implemented as a schoolwide preK–8 program. Each resource guide offers:
- Monthly themes focused on emotions, empathy, relationships, conflict resolution, bullying prevention, problem solving, decision making, teamwork, and self-esteem
- Easy-to-implement lesson formats for all activities: Read, Discuss, Do, Relate
- Literature-based lessons with curriculum integrations for using the lessons as part of language arts, social studies, science, math, art, and music
- Built-in assessments
- Reproducible activity handouts in the book and on CD-ROM
- Grade-grouped materials (PreK–K, Grades 1–2, Grades 3–5, Grades 6–8) include helpful tips for organizing a schoolwide program
- Available staff training, contact email@example.com
Safe & Caring Schools has been successfully used in middle schools during advisory time and classroom meetings. The guide provides specific, easy-to-use activities that allow students to have conversations, learn through inquiry, and feel empowered to change through self-monitoring of their creative thinking. Students use creative ways, including art, drama, writing, music, and reading, to express themselves and reflect on their experiences. Key concepts:
- Me and my school community—what I need at school, cool rules, and respecting differences
- Discovering our feelings—character building, dealing with anger, stress, and attitude makes a difference
- My support system—friendship factors, stress stoppers, peer pressure, and people who care about me
- Respect yourself and others—the language of respect, blaming, compassion, and private space
- Bullying—being cool enough to care, bully survey, courage to be a positive bystander, and how to handle bullies
- Teaming up for success—accountability, leadership, verbal and nonverbal communication, and cooperation
- Conflict resolution—keeping my cool, problem solving steps, and team spirit
- The power to choose—targeting good choices, learning from my choices, thinking before acting, and making a difference at school
- Follow your dreams—positive role models, using my gifts and talents, self-discipline, and setting goals
Field-tested in classrooms across the United States, the Safe & Caring Schools system when fully implemented has resulted in improved school climate, greater parent engagement, increased academic achievement, and reduction in discipline referrals. The teacher resources support the standards from the Collaborative for Academic, Social, and Emotional Learning (CASEL) for the infusion of social and emotional learning into the classroom. Those key competencies are: Awareness of Self and Others, Positive Attitudes and Values, Responsible Decision Making, and Social Interaction Skills. In addition, the material correlates with standards for social studies, language arts, health, and other areas of the curriculum.
The Activities for Building Character and Social-Emotional Learning teacher resources are essential tools for all preK–8 teachers.
“We’ve seen significant change in the attitude and the behavior of students. The students embrace the idea of a safe and caring school. It’s easier for us to discipline children when we have this philosophy of the whole school as a safe and caring place. Our suspension rate has dropped, and the daily infraction rate has dropped significantly.”—Principal
View where you can purchase the eBook.
208 pages, illustrated, softcover, 8½" x 11", Grades 6–8, ISBN 978-1-57542-394-4